Friday, September 10, 2010

Another No

Another month gone. Another month with no rainbow.

I try not to get too sad but I really can't help it. Today was really hard for me when I found out that I wasn't pregnant. Again. I know it's only been four cycles. My amazing cousin went through 43 cycles before she had her sweet son through IVF, so I know I should not be complaining. But still... After a loss, it's so hard to be patient and wait for what we should already have in our arms. I am grateful that I have the ability to get pregnant... But it's the staying pregnant that's the issue.

It took five cycles with Avery. I got pregnant in September. Found out in October. If I were to get pregnant next cycle, it would be the same exact timing as with Avery. The fifth cycle trying. Due in June. I don't know if I could do that. I think it would be sad to experience the same milestones at the same times of the year but with a different baby. Would it be confusing to me? Would it be too 'deja vu' and not feel like a second child, but (if this makes sense) Avery again? I wonder if we should take a TTC break for the next month... But time is ticking away. And this takes long enough without prolonging it and taking time off.

I spoke to another cousin of mine today (my best friends are my cousins and siblings, just a little FYI) and she said that maybe getting pregnant around the same exact time I did last year might just be a blessing in disguise. How would I feel if October 16th (the day we found out I was pregnant) came around and still no baby? (Of course that day is preceded by Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Day, so I am in for a treat!) I think my cousin has a point... I really just think that I would like to pregnant by Christmas. The thought of the holidays makes me feel sad and I'm actually dreading Christmas this year. It just reminds me of being pregnant with Avery and thinking that it would be our last Christmas without her... Actually, it was our only Christmas with her.

Anyone who has tried to conceive knows how frustrating and tiring it can be month after month. How much 'work' it gets to be. The money spent on pregnancy tests, ovulation predictor kits... (And the insult of having to buy tampons after every negative!) Again, I am grateful to be able to do so, but I am just in awe and wonder over how people get pregnant on accident. How does it not happen month after month when trying on purpose but for some people it can just happen on accident when they're not even paying attention to their cycle? Awesome for them! But it's so disheartening to me.

There have been some articles online that some lovely BLMs have passed on to me or mentioned to me about taking baby aspirin while TTC and how it might affect ovulation. I stopped taking my baby aspirin a couple weeks ago so if it was affecting my ovulation, this could be why we have had no success yet. Maybe without it, next month will be another story. My hematologist did tell me to start taking it after I find out I'm pregnant anyway. Who knows...

This post may have been somewhat pointless... Mostly just my rambling on and on and on. Nothing eloquent or moving. Nothing life-changing or profound. But these are my thoughts, late at night. And this is my blog so here it is. :)

14 comments:

Michelle said...

I took baby aspirin with both of mine Nicole, and had no issues at all. I would keep it up, because the risk of miscarriage is high too with clotting factors (not just stillbirth and placental issues). But, I shouldn't preach. I'm not you.

I always say the best time to have a baby is when you get pregnant. And God will know what path is meant for you.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting in the wings with my awesome lovenox injection advice when you start the shots ;)

I'm so sorry about all of this. Waiting is next to impossible. I've had 2 normal cycles - the dr said to wait for 3 to begin trying. I'm praying we're lucky. Praying for a miracle. I would be sick if I found out I wasn't pregnant like you have. Absolutely sick. It's not right.

My mom lost her second son like I did (she also has a clotting factor, but never knew about it in the 60s) and it took her 2 years for her rainbow. But, she said it was the best timing. Like I said, God will bless you when it's best. He already has. And some people might think that sounds weird, but I know that you and my other BLMs out there will agree that we'd rather have had the time we had with our angels, than no time at all. Sorry for this long comment. My heart aches for you Nicole. Much <3 as always.

Jessica said...

Just wanted to say from a fellow rambler ;) that I am thinking of you <3

Priscilla said...

Yes, like Jessica, I'm a fellow rambler. If you can't tell by my blog, it has become a daily log of events, ha. :)

I feel for you! It is very hard getting that big fat negative each month when hoping so badly that you will get a BFP!

I also understand the debate on getting pregnant during the same time as you did with Avery. Our Olivia was a surprise (tried for over a year, then gave up and researched adoption, then surprise!), and ironically she was due just 4 days before our son Jacob was due many years ago. It was exciting but scary. When we hit mile markers, it would bring flashbacks. All of them were good until we hit the mark where we lost our first son and that week was absolutely awful. All I could think about was when history was going to repeat itself! However, that didn't happen (at least not in the same way) and I was able to enjoy the next many mile markers. As I hit them, I kept thinking of how it would have been with Jake and soaked them up. I'm sure each experience is different though. If we're lucky enough to get pregnant again at some point, I'd almost like for it to be during a different season just so that it can be unrelated to our past pregnancies...perhaps it would feel like a whole new journey, and not 'deja vu' as you said.

By the way, the Dollar Tree sells very reliable preggo tests and ovulation kits! :)

Lilly's Mom (Desiree) said...

I know exactly what you're going through. We've been trying for five months now - with no luck. I'll be praying for you and your rainbow. Keep your chin up, girl!

Lisette said...

Praying that you get your rainbow.

Allison said...

TTC is so frustrating. I am so sorry that this wasn't the month. I understand your apprehension about having the same time frame that you had with Avery. It would be hard to be celebrating milestones that you had with her and then those after she passed away. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and many baby wishes.
I don't know what to think of the baby aspirin issue. I finally O while on it, so I went ahead and kept it going. It is interesting that your hematologist was going to have you wait until you got pregnant to start it anyway. Aren't the inconsistencies across the profession fun? :/
You are in my heart! <3

Dana said...

I worry about mixing up my pregnancies. I'm scared that I'll have the ultrasounds with my next baby and watching that baby will make me forget seeing Jacob on the ultrasounds. I can totally understand why it would be hard to reach the same milestones at the same time that you reached them with Avery. On the other hand, it is scary not to try for a month. If it takes several months after that, you'll wonder if it would have worked this month.

43 cycles is so long! I'm so glad it paid off in the end for your cousin.

I am dreading Christmas too. I'm seriously considering skipping the whole thing and just going somewhere.

I'm praying that your rainbow baby comes soon. And every pregnancy has such different symptoms that it might be easy to keep them separate, even if it does all occur at the same time it did with Avery.

Wyatt's Mommie said...

So I guess we are on similar pages... Brian and I tried for 26 months with Wyatt. 7 IUIs, 3 rounds of injections, 1 round of IVF and only 1 egg retrieved we finally had him, only to lose him.

Now trying again. If it works this month, the baby would be due when Wyatt was born (exact day, none the less), June 6. Strange, huh???

It's almost like I want to sleep on the couch this entire month so it can't happen.

Elaine said...

ttc after loss is so difficult. i know i should be patient and let nature take it's course but i hate it. i should be pregnant now not ttc. it's so unfair. every time aunt flo visits i want to scream. i'll know by sept 18th, Blaine's due date, whether I am pregnant. if i'm not it may be an even rougher day.
I hope you get the answer you want next month. you deserve some great news!

Michelle said...

Nicole,

My hematologist and perinatologist told me not to take it at all and now my endocrinologist told me to take it while we try. Every doctor has a different opinion, but I wonder what the majority of doctors think?

hang in there and I will be praying for our rainbow babies!

love,
Michelle

MrsH said...

I can vouch for the fact that we are more impatient after a loss... after my stillbirth in January, I had two more miscarriages, one in May and one in August, and I am going crazy with impatience.

CAS said...

I'm just reading this as I was looking for other moms that are TTC after a loss and looking for support too. What you described is what I am feeling too. We lost our baby to an Ectopic pregnancy in July. And I had one normal period in Sep and started to try and this month no period, but three negitive tests and now I am on medroxyprogesterone to try to push my period along, but I get scared because it says do not take if you are pregnant or trying and I still hope someway that I still am and if I am not- PLEASE GOD- just let me have a "normal" period! This waiting is getting to me. Every day seems like a year and every month that goes by seems like a lifetime. I wish I could think of something else, but I can't! and I wish I could take a pregnancy test all the time, but can't do that either. Wishing my periods would be normal so I could just at least try.

CAS said...

I'm just reading this as I was looking for other moms that are TTC after a loss and looking for support too. What you described is what I am feeling too. We lost our baby to an Ectopic pregnancy in July. And I had one normal period in Sep and started to try and this month no period, but three negitive tests and now I am on medroxyprogesterone to try to push my period along, but I get scared because it says do not take if you are pregnant or trying and I still hope someway that I still am and if I am not- PLEASE GOD- just let me have a "normal" period! This waiting is getting to me. Every day seems like a year and every month that goes by seems like a lifetime. I wish I could think of something else, but I can't! and I wish I could take a pregnancy test all the time, but can't do that either. Wishing my periods would be normal so I could just at least try.

Jessie said...

just started reading your blog i found you off anoher one... im also trying to concieve again we lost our daughter feb 19 2009 i was wondering if you have facebook i would love to add you as a friend if so please search jessie zeller i also live in utah if that helps finding me, i would love to have someone to chat to. also being a mom that has lost a child and trying again maybe we can chat about our lifes.. =) and as for the aspirin it really does help i did a 6 month studt at the hospitail (of course i wasnt one of the lucky one that concieved) but from what i reasearched it works wonders