Saturday, December 11, 2010

Do they know?

Lately, I've really been struggling with feeling like people don't get it. I'm talking about the "normal" people out there. The ones whose lives haven't been ransacked and ravaged by the loss of their own child. I don't expect people to know what it feels like if they've never suffered through it, but I at least wish I knew for certain that there's understanding and remembrance. Acknowledgment.

Is this a projection that I'm forcing upon myself? Trying to sabotage myself into believing that those closest to me have forgotten the very thing that defines me? Yes, I am defined by the loss of my daughter. That's all I see when I look at myself. It laces every thought. It's always there. It doesn't go away. Right now, my life revolves around it. I'm not being pessimistic or dramatic. It's the truth. I am the childless mother. Everything everywhere points it out and re-reminds me constantly. And each month that passes and I'm still not pregnant, while so many around me find success, it eats at me.

Do people really know what goes on after the loss of a baby? It's so easy for everyone else to move on and return to their lives. But for Daniel and me... Avery was going to be our life. So what do we return to besides our empty arms? We buy Christmas decorations for a grave while the world around us buys 'Baby's 1st Christmas' bibs and onesies for their breathing, living bundles of life. We include our dead baby's name on our Christmas cards and we fear judgment and ridicule while others adorn their cards with sweet smiling photos of their chubby, thriving miracles. This is no longer "the most wonderful time of the year." It's tainted. Everything is. Someone is always missing. And it feels like no one remembers that. Why can't people mention Avery? Why can't anyone acknowledge that she should be here? Does anyone think about her without my mentioning her? Do people ever hug and kiss their babies and think of me, knowing I can't do that? Do they realize the blessing in their arms when they think of me? I don't think mothers like me are the only ones who appreciate their children. But I would like to think that those who know of what happened to our baby would be extra grateful for theirs. Or would give extra squeezes to their little ones after imagining themselves in my shoes. Maybe I would just like good to come out of something so wretched. If I can inspire extra gratitude... even a "Thank God I'm not Nicole" then that could be good, I guess. I think I just want to be acknowledged. And not for me. But for Avery. I don't want her to be forgotten, like she doesn't matter. Like she's not a part of this family.

I wonder if everyone thinks Daniel and I are okay. They see us laughing and acting like we used to. Do they assume we're "over it?" We have no choice but to act normal. Most times we like to avoid that awkwardness we're made to feel when mentioning our dead baby, though we do love to talk about her. We talk about her together all the time. We talk about what she should be doing, whether she'd be sitting with us or if she'd be napping. She's a part of our every waking thought. Why are people so afraid to bring her up?

But this is what has been plaguing me the past couple of weeks... Do people really know? Do they realize what a hell on earth this is? How much further than the funeral this goes? Do people just view me as 'not pregnant' anymore? Do they realize someone is missing from our family and always will be? Do they know when my husband cries because he misses our little girl, I feel incredibly guilty because it was something in my body that killed her? I know it's not my fault, but had he married probably anyone else, he'd have living children. I can't help but think about that. Do people understand the devastation this loss leaves in its wake? Just because Avery never took a breath in this world, doesn't mean we didn't know her enough to love her. I really believe that's how so many people view the situation. But those people also don't know that Avery was loved and so dearly wanted long before she was even conceived.

I don't know why I feel so defensive. No one has said anything ignorant or hurtful. Not many have really said anything. I think that's my problem. I really don't want to feel like Avery doesn't matter. She is our child. It doesn't matter how long she was here or how many people knew her or how much time passes since she died. We love her, she's ours, and that's all that should matter. I just wish I knew that people remember her and think about her. When you're in my shoes, acknowledgment is everything.

14 comments:

Julie said...

nicole, this is so well-expressed. i feel EXACTLY the same way, and would love to print out your blog post and hand it to every person in my life (just about everyone) who appears to think that my life is back to the way it was before kenny was conceived.

Michelle said...

You're not looking for this, it's true. No one understands - they think life goes on just like their life goes on. There is no understanding. I'm fortunate that my mom lost a baby too - she truly empathizes and sympathizes with me at every turn. You aren't crazy, this is how people are. You can see it so much more clearly. People are obsessed with running, having the best things, making themselves happy with shit that doesn't matter. Maybe we were like that once, we aren't now. Either way, I understand where you are. Why you can't get out of this place. Love ya.

Elaine said...

It's true acknowledgement is everything and lack of it is just as hurtful as someone saying something stupid. I don't think "normal" people know or understand what it is like. And that is a positive thing. I wouldn't wish this knowledge on anyone. I find the people I'm closest to now are the people who have acknowledged they don't "get it" but who are willing to try for my sake.

Bethany said...

This is my first time reading your blog... I just would like to express how deeply sorry I am for the loss of Avery. I haven't walked in your shoes, but I do understand... losing my son has changed my life forever. If I could wrap my arms around you and give you a hug, I would. But since I can not... please know that I will spend the rest of today thinking of Avery, and her mommy and daddy. Your post made me cry... for you, and for myself as I feel so strongly the way you have written.

rebecca said...

I think it is nearly impossible for people to really understand unless they've been through it. To know the pain and loss associated with losing your child is a horror most people are so uncomfortable with. I think often too they worry saying something will upset us, I've had a couple of people tell me that. They just don't know what to do. The Holidays are definitely tainted for us as well this year, we made the decision to not put out any of our Christmas decorations, we just can't feel festive this year, as you said...there is someone who means to much to us missing and its just too sad.

Melissa said...

I couldn't have said it better. I cannot tell you how many times I've been frustrated at people for the same things. It helps me to know that the people in my life are not the only ones who behave like this, it's everyone...sad, but true. At least we have our blogs to connect with people who do get it and I try to go there when I am feeling like other people in my real life just don't get it. Hugs to you, thinking of you and Avery this Christmas!

Jessica said...

I agree Nicole acknowledgment is everything. You said it all so well. I can't speak for other people but I have these thoughts ALL THE TIME. Sadly I don't think I would sign most Christmas cards with Rilay & Peyton's names too because some people wouldn't even know what that meant. Sad but true. In DBL I mention their names all the time but IRL not so much. I talk about them but I don't mention their names that much. I guess that is my defense mechanism to save myself from the ridicule that could follow... (((HUGS)))

Alissa said...

Since I really feel like everyone has said exactly what I would say...I just want you to know that I remember...and I will always remember. I know it doesn't have the same effect as those who haven't gone through what you have...but I want you to know that I will always be here and will always think of your little Avery. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

This was an extremely well written post that expresses so much of what my husband I are also feeling. Thank you for writing this out, I know it's hard. It sucks that people don't want to remember our babies with us. I don't get it either. Big hugs to you and your hubby.

Anonymous said...

This was an extremely well written post that expresses so much of what my husband I are also feeling. Thank you for writing this out, I know it's hard. It sucks that people don't want to remember our babies with us. I don't get it either. Big hugs to you and your hubby.

Elainna said...

Nicole you are absolutely right, acknowledgement is everything. Your post is actually what I think all the time, only written more eloquently. Normal people are clueless. I don’t think I will ever understand the reason, but most are. Normal people think our babies weren’t really apart of our lives. They don’t realize our babies were apart of our every day from the time (and often before) we knew they existed. And our babies did exist. Our longing for and memories of our babies will always be apart of our lives.

It is especially sad that the only other person beside my husband and I who mentions Payton, is our older daughter who is not yet three. How can a two-year-old grasp what adults cannot?

Remembering Avery with you.

Whittney said...

I hear you. I wish that we all didn't feel so alone, because that's what it is. The feeling that no one else in your real life GETS IT. People ask... "Oh, what are your Christmas plans?" How do you answer that? Oh... I don't know... sitting around sobbing because my son is dead. Why don't they know that?

Kalialani said...

I agree 100% with all of that and I had/have these same thoughts ALL the time. Especially with family...they don't mention her name and your thoughts are my thoughts exactly. It's all I ever think about on top of the fact that life is so unfair and I can't believe I'm still here without my child. :( I'm always thinking about you and Avery. I wish things would change. I mean obviously, but I just wish people would mention our children, tell us that they're thinking of them without us having to mention them and have it be reciprocated with awkwardness. I'm so sorry Nicole. :'(

LetterstoClaire said...

The short answer is unfortunately, no, the pain we go through is something that no one else can understand unless they have been through it too. Losing a child defeats us in many ways. I don't want to sound to pessimistic, and like you, people haven't said anything insensitive to me- they also, just seem to saying nothing at all. I don't think most people do it because they want to keep us from feeling bad. You, me and so many of the baby loss mothers have blogs in remembrance of our children. I have photographs everywhere. Claire's urn sits front and center in my house. It's more than clear that I don't want people to act like she doesn't exist, but, most people do. I think that it's because they don't like thinking about it because it makes them sad. Because, for my friends with children, they don't want to spend even a second thinking of what would happen if they lost their baby. The thought stops there and they forget that I deal with it every day. I've actually been told by a good friend of mine that her step-mother cannot read my blog even though she thinks of me often, because it makes her think about what it would be like losing her newborn son and she can't tolerate it. I'm incredibly proud of the friends and family of ours who are able to steamroll past those thoughts and think of my daughter, myself and my husband and focus on helping us, even if it means discomfort for them.