*Caution: Possible triggers*
There's something I have been keeping to myself lately. Keeping it from my blog is omitting a huge piece of my journey toward healing. That's what this blog is all about. I only ever want to depict my true self and be nothing but honest and real. So here it goes... Since June, Daniel and I have been trying to conceive our Rainbow Baby.
For those unfamiliar with BLM (that's 'Baby Loss Mom') terms, a 'Rainbow Baby' is a baby that comes after a loss... The rainbow after the storm.
I have been keeping this to myself because I've been afraid what others might think or say about it. Will people I know pass judgment on us because we're trying to have another baby? Will they think we don't miss or love Avery anymore? That we're over her? Will they think I'm too unstable to handle it? Will they not trust that a lot of prayer and thought and discussion has gone into this decision to try again? On top of living without Avery, and the worry of a repeat and all of the care and stress that will go into a second pregnancy, I don't think I can take any unsupportive judging chatter (that's unfortunately probably inevitable). So we have only told family and close friends so far.
And then I worry about my lovely fellow BLMs... Some are still very tender, with such raw pain, and deservedly so. I don't ever want to cause them any extra pain by throwing a topic in front of them that they are not ready to think about. I know the mere thought of another baby killed me when we first lost Avery. I would get upset at people who suggested it so soon after her passing. I couldn't imagine allowing another child to grow in my womb... To me, at that time, my womb was still hers. So, I've been afraid to put this out there for someone to stumble upon and have it hurt them in any way. I care so much about this community. I hope this post doesn't cause any anguish to anyone that may read it. I just didn't know how to document my journey without including this.
Taking the leap of faith into trying again is a huge step in the healing process. It took a lot to arrive at this point. We are in the middle of my fourth cycle of trying and each month that it hasn't happened, my husband and I have dealt with much disappointment and some sadness. Each month, I have wanted so badly to document these emotions here, but just wasn't sure if "the world" should know. Til now, I guess. It's such a big part of this story. How can I leave it out? Soon, there will be more of us taking this leap of faith and maybe my words can help them. I always long to help others in my shoes. It's become my purpose lately. I guess that's why I fear my news alienating or triggering pain for anyone or making me irrelevant to any of the Moms I have loved ministering to.
I am definitely scared to death, to be honest. Of course it crosses my mind often that this could happen to us again. That is my biggest fear. I pray to God that I never know what it's like to lose another child. But I can't hide from it forever. I can't let the fear win. Having a baby has been my dream in life for as long as I can remember. I will not lay down and die. I refuse to let go of that dream. Some days I'm not sure I can handle the risk. Other days, I feel so strong and sure. I know it will fluctuate constantly. I know there will be joy and fear in my next pregnancy. There will never again be any pregnancy bliss that I only knew with Avery, before I ever dreamed that I could lose her. But this time we'll know the precautions. I trust that God will give us strength.
I know another baby will never fix the wounds Avery's death left on our hearts. But another baby might be able to put band-aids over them... Maybe stop the bleeding. I know a new baby would bring about a whole new heap of things... showing us what we never got to experience with Avery. Or how she's not here to meet her little brother or sister. And lots more I won't find til we get there. But if we can get that baby home, alive and safe in our arms forever, it will bring a sure piece of true joy to our hearts.
After sharing all of that, I hope that it hasn't bothered anyone. If it has, I am so sorry. <3
I would like to ask anyone reading to keep Daniel and I in your prayers. This is such a huge step in our lives and we need all the help we can get. We are making ourselves vulnerable and putting our hearts on the line once again. I know once I am pregnant, times will be hard, some days will be scary. I ask for encouragement, prayers, and support if you're willing to offer it! Thank you so much. With everything I am, I thank you. <3
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Congratulations on your next journey, as you may or may not know i had a post similar to this on my blog last week called "crossroads *triggers*".....it is just the next part of your journey and you and your husband are entitled to do this...I felt JUST like you and I feel like im reading my own post!!! I will 100% support you always...God bless you both and I wish you lots and lots of luck!!!!!!!!!!
Nicole,
I'm so happy for you and your husband. I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey towards your rainbow baby. Any baby, as Avery knows, would be lucky to call you mommy someday. Hugs to you always...
It took my husband and I a year to conceive Evan after we lost Julia. Each month when the tests were negative I felt like it would never happen. When it did come back positive and I was sick as a dog, I was so glad and happy that our family would be complete again!
Then we got the tragic news that our rainbow baby -Evan- was brain dead. We'd lost our rainbow baby.
Now we're trying for our 2nd rainbow soon. Here's to hoping that both of us find our rainbow soon.
the fact that you are so worried about hurting a reader just shows what a compassionate friend you are. but ultimately, isn't this blog for your own healing? and you're absolutely right, you can't just leave this huge part of your journey out in order to spare someone else's feelings.
i can totally relate to anticipating fear AND joy in your next pregnancy, and the idea that a rainbow would be a kind of band-aid over the wound that avery left in your heart.
i'm wishing you lots of baby dust, and saying lots of prayers.
Aw Nicole - first off, big ((hugs))
I feel the same things you do. We have gotten the go-ahead to begin in September (after an ultrasound to make sure everything is back to normal - whatever that means) and I sit up at night and pray to Sawyer - and I ask him if it's okay. Tell him that we aren't trying to replace him. It's a heavy burden to carry.
I too worry about other moms - the moms who have struggled for YEARS with fertility, get pregnant - only to lose their precious angels. I wish and hope that we are blessed again. But I'm not counting on it. Not expecting anything.
First of all congratulations on making this leap of faith. It was so kind of you to worry about others, but I think a lot of us feel the same way. After all we were ready for our first babies and prepared for them, our hearts and bodies still have that deep desire for a baby. And what a wonderful way to honor your Avery's life by moving forward and trying to pass on the love each of you have to another baby. Sending lots of love & prayers of hope your way <3
We are almost to the point of finishing up IVF again. It was not an easy decision to come to especially after we decided almost a month after losing our rainbow baby Wyatt.
We want to put band aids over our wounds too. It will never erase the memories of our children.
I wish you and your DH all the best in this next journey to bringing home a sibling for your beautiful Avery!!
Good luck with the next chapter in your journey! I have yet to blog about it, but I'm right there with you. We have begun trying again (although we still battle back and forth on that decision), because I ultimately feel that this will bring more hope. I pray that the coming months bring good news for you!
I'm glad you share. I agree, it is an important part of your journey and ultimately this blog is for you. I hope that we can all support you through the next phase of your journey. I will keep you and Daniel in my prayers.
I only know you through this community, but what I know of you is what I think anyone who knows you would say. You are so selfless and always thinking of everyone but yourself. I say, It is time for you. There will be some that will be harsh towards YOUR decision, but that is not their call to make. You do what you feel like you are ready for. It is called healing and that is a good thing. It is not called forgetting, which we will NEVER do. It is not putting anyone or anything above Avery. It is fulfilling a dream. Avery would be so proud of you! She will have some awesome hugs and kisses for you one day! I will be praying that all goes well.
Ah, so much to say, I could write a book. First, I pray that God blesses you with another beautiful child, second, you are a beautiful amazing woman. My heart went out to you on so many levels reading your post. I relate sooooo much. I wish I had the courage to include friends in our decision to get pregnant again after we lost Isaac. We didn't & when Hannah died it absolutely crushed me. But, from the perspective of a mommy who has heard those unimaginable words from the Dr not once but twice I can honestly say I wouldn't change anything. I love my Hannah girl & although I didn't get to keep her in this life I know that I will kiss her sweet face again. And Isaac's. So I guess I'm just rambling about how I would never want anyone else to have to endure that however, I can say with certainty that God sustained me & I'd rather have that short time with Hannah than no time at all. I suppose that's what gave us the courage to try again. Knowing that God is good & that He will hold your hand & even pick you up & carry you if something happens. In His goodness he did bless us again with our sweet Hope (Jeremiah 29:11)& no she will never ever replace Isaac & Hannah but having her in my arms has brought much needed healing to my heart. Nicole, I promise that I'm not gonna say "oh I'll pray for you" & then go about my day. I want to promise you there's a girl in Chicago prayin for you, your husband, & all your future wee ones all the time. God bless you <3
I am keeping you and Daniel in my prayers. I echo everyone's comments about your kindness and thoughtfulness. Be gentle on yourself. Avery will always be in your lives, and she will be looking over her future siblings. I am sending you hope and encouragement as you begin a new TTC journey. I will be here to talk about aspirin, lovenox, and everything else. :) My heart is with you.
<3
I am so happy to hear of your TTC. : ) <3 I will be praying for you and with you along the way. : )
praying for you!
I didn't know that term. I love it. I love that there is a term. And I will follow and pray you along - and believe me, your lending your hope to me and countless others I'm sure...that is a good thing...I believe no one else these days but my fellow "baby loss mom's". I love your courage (which literally means, at least so I once heard, "amount of heart.")
you cannot worry what others will think, especially those who have not journeyed this path. anyhow, many blessings to you. i just signed up for BLM penpals. what a neat idea. oh, and had our babies been girls one would have been an Avery. It's my fave little girl name.
Hoping for you that there is much joy on this next part of your journey.
I just found your blog and am still reading about your sweet Avery. May God bring you much joy and healing as you look toward a new season of life. Avery will always be a part of who you are...there will always be a little part of your heart missing. Don't worry about what anyone else might think about you trying to have another child. This is your journey and only God knows what blessings he has waiting for you.
I wish you mass amounts of baby dust and lots of luck on your journey! You are a strong women. I hope to join you in trying in 2 or 3 months. I will be scared then too. *hugs* to you
thinking of you and praying you have your rainbow baby. ((HUGS))
Post a Comment