Friday, August 6, 2010

The joy of the Lord is my strength

There's been a change this week.

I can feel it. I can feel something deep inside of me. I can see it. I can see it in my face... in my eyes. I can hear it. I can hear it in my laugh... in my voice.

It feels, looks, and sounds a lot like something familiar. Something I knew once upon a time.

Happiness.

Yes. I don't know why the sudden, more frequent shift has taken place, but I know that it has. I welcome it with open arms. I know God is healing me, running His sovereign loving hands over my wounded heart. Today, for the first time since we lost Avery, I feel genuinely happy.
I never thought I would ever feel that way again... or at least not so soon anyway. But there is no denying what God has done in me. I have prayed for it and hoped for it. I have wanted to live happier for my daughter's memory. I want to think of her and smile, instead of cry. I feel like I am finally beginning to achieve that. I know I owe it to God, but also to the people who have really been there for me, and that also includes this beautiful community of "Baby Loss Moms." Surrounding myself with so many lovely women who know exactly what this is like has done so much for my heart. (I love you all.)

By no means possible am I "over" my daughter and what has happened to us as a family. I will always miss her, despise her absence, ache for her presence... But that doesn't mean that I have to dwell in an empty shell of a person, as a sheer suggestion of who I used to be. Happiness does not mean I love or miss Avery less. It is okay for healing to take place.

It's been just about five months since I last held Avery. In the beginning, I embraced my pain and didn't desire progress or improvement. I just wanted to drag myself into a dark hole and fall asleep forever or pray to pass away. I think that's part of the grieving process. At first, we don't want to get better. Getting better feels like moving on or not caring, but really it isn't. We do reach a point though... a turning point... Where we are willing to try. Willing to get better. I reached that "willing" place at the end of May, almost two and a half months after losing Avery. Now, I think I have crossed out of "willing" into "being." I'm being more myself, being happier, being more alive.

No one is the same. No one has the same time frame. There's no limit on grieving time or healing time. I believe I will grieve Avery as long as I live. But that's just the thing. I am still living. I have to live the life Avery never got to. I want to live for her. I want to smile all the smiles she'll never smile. I want to laugh all the laughs she'll never laugh. Well, not this side of Heaven anyway.

14 comments:

Julie said...

i cried tears of joy for you as i read this. <3

Wyatt's Mommie said...

Oh Nicole, I am lost for words. You have simply just said it the best way possible. I am so happy for you. xoxo Megan

Antoinette said...

<3 the new house is going to bring you so much more peace....I believe a 'fresh' place, a 'fresh' start is really playing a role. i say it all the time that i made it as far as i have because of my BLMS....they deserve my therapists pay check..lol...praying for your cont'd peace!!

Tina said...

He gently restores. He turns mourning into dancing. It does my heart good to hear your happiness.

Dana said...

Wow. I am so happy to hear that you have true happiness.

Your post is so eloquent and it really explains it all so well. I am almost 2.5 months out after losing Jacob and am consciously trying to be happy. Your post really helped me to see that it will just happen one day and that it won't be accompanied by feelings of guilt or underlying sadness.

I am so glad that you have reached that point.

Stephanie said...

Happy is a good thing! Glad you are feeling something positive and healing.

Jennifer said...

This is such an uplifting post. Thank you for sharing it.

Rhiannon said...

What an inspiring post! I am glad that you are feeling so much peace. You give me hope that it will come one day. Hugs!

Alissa said...

This is great news, Nicole, and an amazing post. You have been so inspiring and strong in your journey to find and feel happiness. It's a wonderful thing to read that you are healing.

Lilly's Mom (Desiree) said...

I got chill bumps reading this! :) Healing is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Elaine said...

Happy is a great thing to be!! God is working in our lives to heal us. We just have to open up and let him!

Jennifer said...

Awww, it is almost a sense of freedom isn't it. You really blessed my soul with this post. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. xoxo

Melissa said...

Beautiful post and it gives me hope to read it. =)

Debra said...

As always Chickadee, your words give me chills and bring tears to my eyes. I Love you!!