Today marked four months since Avery was born. Four months since we said goodbye. I really can't believe that much time has gone by since we last held our little girl. But on the other hand, I feel like I can't imagine a time before this was my life. Being pregnant feels like eons ago. It seems I can hardly recall what it's like to even be pregnant and to think our little girl was coming. Avery being gone feels so much more real than her being alive and I think that's really sad. The six months she was alive feels so surreal, like a foggy dream. I remember all the details but it feels like another life. It's so strange.
It's almost crazy to me that there was a time where we ever really thought we were having a baby in June. Sadly enough, it feels so normal that she's gone. I have now been conditioned to think it's rare to have a baby, instead of it being rare to have a stillborn. To me, it's hard to imagine that women so easily birth perfectly healthy living babies. It's so astounding. Each person you see walking down the street is such a miracle. I guess I should be encouraged that there are so many living people on this planet. That means billions and billions of successful pregnancies. I guess when I think of how many billions there are, I then want to ask, "why me?" And why Kelly? Why Daniele? Why Kristin? Why Danae? Why Jennifer? Why Angie? Why Dana? Why Andi? Why all of the beautiful, wonderful women I have come to know that have experienced this as well? I don't want to start the it's not fair rant.
It's so odd how not a single woman I've met who's experienced this tragedy has even remotely "deserved" it. I don't want to use that word, because no woman ever deserves to lose their baby. But for lack of a better word, there it is. It seems like it's never the woman who neglects her children or abuses them. Never the woman who's addicted to drugs and alcohol while she's pregnant. Never the girl who got pregnant at 15. Never the woman who was going to abort her baby but only kept it because she chickened out. Never the woman who got pregnant who got pregnant sleeping around... Now again, no one deserves to lose their child, but if anyone does, why is it always the woman who is a great mother? The woman who has a beautiful marriage? The woman who spent months trying so hard to get pregnant with her husband? The woman who truly adores children? The woman who kept herself as healthy as possible during pregnancy? The woman who would even hold her breath when walking by cigarette smoke, to keep her baby safe? The woman who spent her entire life dreaming of the day she'd have a baby?
I guess these trying times only befall the strong. I'm not trying to speak highly of myself, but when I look at all the women I know who are struggling down this path, I know it's true. These women are good and honorable. I guess it takes a special woman to be the Mom of a baby in Heaven. We've been entrusted with these precious babies that could only stay for a moment. We have the capacity to honor and love them as they deserve... And in that, they live on forever.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
That is beautiful Nicole. Thank you for including my name in your post, among the Mom's who did everything they could have to ensure that their baby is healthy and had every chance.
When you say that it takes a special woman to be the Mom of a baby in Heaven, that we have the capacity to honor and love them as they deserve- it makes me feel a little better - that you can spin a positive light on this situation. That something positive will come out of our babies lives even though they never got to make a difference in this world while they were alive (except for us and our families). I think that we will all contribute something more to society than we otherwise would have because of what we have been through and thus our babies will have made a difference. Maybe we already have done that, by helping each other through this.
Your feelings of it being surreal that you would ever have had a baby - I totally understand that, and everything else you wrote in your post. Sometimes I wonder how I could ever have thought that I would, or will, have a baby in my arms one day. I feel like stillbirths are more common than live births. I see someone with a baby and am amazed that the baby lived, not so amazed that mine died because that is just what seems to happen most of the time.....not the right perspective to have, but that is our personal experience.
She was here...She is real...She knew only love while she was here. She knows only love and perfect peace now.
It bothers me also to see women who do not know the meaning of the word mother have children so easily.
Hugs and prayers!
Four months for you today. Two months for me today. I agree with the sentiment that no one deserves this. And it is amazing that any babies make it. The entire process from conception to birth now seems fraught with danger. Love to you and sweet Avery today.
What a beautiful post & I couldn't agree more...I think it truly does require a special loving & strong husband & wife to properly love a child in heaven. Thinking of you today & sending prayers & love your way!
Beautiful post, Nicole. You are doing such a wonderful job of honoring, remembering, loving, and MOTHERING your daughter. Avery is so proud, I just know it. Glad I have you to walk this journey alongside.
Xoxo
I did fully understand the beauty of life until after the death of my daughter, Lily. I didn't understand all of the beautiful and minute parts that go into every person that I see everyday. My rainbow baby is a miracle but every baby is, aren't they?
True, it's never the woman that smokes, drinks, or abuses her body in another fashion that seems to lose their baby. It always seems to be those that love and want their baby more than anything...
Lily has been gone for almost 2 years (Aug. 3) and these questions still float through my mind.
((HUGS))
I am so sorry to hear of your sweet Avery, and even sorrier that we had to meet on the "faces of Loss"....and even MORE sorry it was because of the M*ther F)(*n MTHFR!! Thank you for your kind words....and this post, unfortunately is how I feel ALL the time...Why us? Why is it that in order to meet the most loving caring compassionate mothers...it has to be in the BL community?? God bless you...you will be in my thoughts xoxo tomorrow marks 5 months for me, and it is not easy that is for sure...are you on FB? I am on Kristin's friend list request me =)
ltred99 said...
I am relatively new to the BL community, yesterday was 1 month since we painfully said goodbye to our beautiful angel, Harper Grace. I have never knew such pain existed and at the same time, never knew such love. I agree with everything you said on your post, I ask those questions and cry and scream everyday. Why us?? It is so unfair, we would have been such good, loving parents...unlike the crackheads that get to keep their babies! UGH, it infuriates me! I will be posting my story on faces of loss soon. Thank you for your post and I am deeply sorry for the loss of your sweet Avery!
I came across your blog through another baby loss mama. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful daughter, Avery. I recently lost my son Oliver in May. It is so unfair that we have to become a part of this community, but it is these women that have given me strength and hope through the journey. I look forward to following your blog.
Post a Comment