On Tuesday, I got back from visiting Levittown, Pennsylvania with my parents and two of my brothers (Shaun & Sam). We were there for six days. It was difficult for me to be away from Daniel, but I did manage to enjoy myself. It was hard not to, what with all the beauty of an actual Fall.
I was born and raised in Florida... Before this past week, I had never seen colored leaves. Well, television doesn't count. I was amazed by the shades of red, orange, and yellow. In Florida, our trees stay green sometimes as late as December. They go from green to dead and brown. Nothing pretty in between. It's really not fair.
The weather in PA was beautiful. I went from wearing shorts, sleeveless shirts, and flip-flops to jeans, cardigans, and actual shoes (which were all purchased before we left for the trip). And since I have returned home, I have been back in shorts and sleeveless shirts! (We are getting a cold front for tomorrow, though, so the 60-something degree weather will be nice.)
Being in PA, in another place that I haven't been to in five or six years really gave me a break from myself and my life. My life as the grieving mother, not the happy wife. I don't need a break from Daniel or our life together. But I didn't realize that I did need a break from who I am and how I feel about my life since Avery died. I didn't realize how much of my thoughts are consumed by her absence or how much I notice how everyone else has what I long for. While I was away, I didn't dwell on any of that. Sure, I had some thoughts that Avery should be there with me, all bundled up with a cold pink nose. I should have taken photos of her in the orange leaves. But I didn't dwell on that there. I guess being there was a bit of a time warp for me. I grew up visiting there frequently in the summers with my family. This was the first time I'd been there since I've even known Daniel. So maybe a part of me felt like I was still a kid, with my parents and my brothers... Not the mother who lost her baby. It was nice not to feel like such a freak, such a left out person. A childless mother. Never fitting in with all of the other moms. I didn't have to deal with that. I liked it.
I turned 27 on October 23rd. I don't mind getting older. I think it's a priviledge to grow old, especially alongside the love of your life. But what bothers me about my age is that I am not where I wanted to be by now. My birthday last year was perfect. I was pregnant and had nothing to wish for when I blew out my candles. This year I did. I wished for another baby. A healthy one I could keep this time. (I'm still not pregnant, by the way... We're now at 6 months and counting as far as trying goes.) I always wanted to have all of my children in my 20's... or most of them anyway. Will I be able to have any that stay in the next three years? Funny how we think we can plan our lives when we're kids... "I want to be married at 23 and have all of my kids before I'm 30," I would say. I got married five days before 25 and I'm 27 with no living kids to show for. We definitely don't get to choose... Well, it seems like mostly everyone else does get to choose, but for some reason, I have never been able to.
I guess I had a lot of time to step back and look at my life while I was away. I felt so removed from everything I have been going through. I guess it was easy to feel like I was in another world, another reality. I didn't feel defined by my loss. I didn't find myself in any settings where I was reminded my arms are empty. It was nice for once. It was like I could think on the sweet things of Avery instead of the sad ones.
Regardless of how much easier it was "to be me" while I was away, I could not wait to get home to Daniel, to be with him again. It was the longest we'd been apart since 2006. I didn't think it was possible, but we bonded and grew even closer through being apart for six days. I may be without my child, but I am definitely not without the love of an amazing man I am blessed to call my husband and my best friend.
6 comments:
We had our first vacation ever last week. (That didn't include family or going away for Easter.) Only took us about 3.5 years to do so(!). It was a good break from everything.
I think as grieving parents a change of scenery does us good. We went to the beach and did all the touristy things.
After Hannah went to heaven Dan & I went to Michigan for 3 days. I also needed to "get away" although I still carried the hurt with me, I felt a lightness. I felt like being away allowed me not to focus on so much what was missing but what was God doing in my life. I look back on that vacation & that place as a time of healing. I'm glad you were able to decompress for a while & I'm glad you're home with your man. Husbands like yours, & mine =)are such a blessing.
Beautiful pictures Nicole. Jason and I are taking a vacation in February and I cannot wait for it. Time to just get away and be for once.
*hugs* wishing Avery was with you my friend
I LOVE the pictures and I agree with not being where I wanted to be in life by this age, it sucks :(
But I'm hoping you get your rainbow soon and you get to bring him or her home.
P.S. you and your husband are so sweet together :)
<3 Avery <3
Sometimes a change in scenery and location is just what we need. Glad to hear this was a good break for you.
I too agree with the not being where you want to be... it's a hard one for me to accept sometimes.
Love to you.
First of all my sweet friend, you are not a freak! You are a beautiful person inside and out. I know where you are feels awkward and unnatural. I feel it also. I have learned in the last few weeks that being pregnant after a loss is way more difficult than I ever imagined. It is almost as stressful as carrying Eli when I knew he wouldn't live. Maybe God is waiting for just the right time to bless you with another baby. I can also tell you that it really is not at all bad having children after 30. You are a very special person Nicole and I know God has something wonderful planned for you and Daniel. You are an amazing mother. I am praying for you!
I am so glad you got to get away for a few days. I know what you mean about being away from Daniel. I hate to be away from Jamie even over night. Hang in there mama! xoxo
Post a Comment